Any structure that is approved for the Register of Historic Places is eligible to display a plaque to recognize its historic and/or architectural elements.
Three new buildings, the Scholl Pottery House, the Renninger Apartment Building, and the Theodore Cornell Manor, have been added to Heritage Conservancy’s Register of Historic Places.
Heritage Conservancy maintains and updates its Register of Historic Places, a database of over 650 structures that display historical significance within our region, to ensure that the most notable aspects of our heritage are recognized for future generations to enjoy and learn from.
Help Heritage Conservancy further our mission of preserving and protecting our historic heritage. To request a nomination form or to learn more about becoming a committee member, please contact Heritage Conservancy at 215-345-7020, email email@example.com, or visit our website heritageconservancy.org.
The Scholl Pottery House
The Scholl Pottery House (left), home to the Scholl family and built prior to 1774, represents the history and architecture that resulted from the German immigration in the 18th century to this area of Montgomery, as well as the pottery industry created by these immigrants. The soil contained high-quality ceramic clay, which was dug up in the fall after farming was completed. This property contained the Scholl Pottery Works, which was well known for its “sgraffito” technique where a coating of light-colored slip was applied over the item and then decorations were scratched into the clay. Although the pottery works no longer stands, the present owner has recovered many pottery shards, pieces of glass, and metal objects. The Philadelphia Museum of Art has a number of Scholl pottery items (right) from the early 19th century in its collection.
Renninger Apartment Building
The Renninger Apartment Building (left and right) was built in 1924 by Josiah Smith Renninger as an anniversary gift and income-producing property for his wife, Mary Langner Renninger. When he passed away in 1939, the building became a trust for their youngest daughter, Pearl, who suffered from polio. Much of the original architectural features remain on the exterior and interior, including decorative brickwork, frosted window glass, built-in kitchen cabinets with slate counters, and woodwork throughout each apartment. It is unique to find an apartment building that retains its original features, and the present owner continues to preserve that heritage. This is the third property nominated under his ownership and then approved for our Register of Historic Places. We encourage others to follow in his footsteps!
Theodore Cornell Manor
Created in 1848 by the famous painter and Langhorne native Edward Hicks, the painting titled The Cornell Farm (left) currently hangs in the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC. The Theodore Cornell Manor (right) is the restored Victorian home that Theodore Cornell and Anna Buckman Cornell built in 1885 to replace the stone farmhouse pictured in this painting.
This property was once part of the Cornell family farms that covered nearly 2000 acres. Along with the Victorian house, which retains most of its original interior and exterior features, the property also contains a spring house with an 1822 datestone and a carriage house. After years of neglect, the owner is restoring the original architectural elements. She interestingly owned the house from 1967 through 1985, sold it, then bought it back in a sheriff’s sale in 2020. Her memories from her initial ownership are helping her put the pieces back in place to highlight the beautiful history and architecture of the property.
If you are interested in learning more about having your home added to our register, visit our website for more information.
Kate Klaver, Digital Communications Associate.